Monday, 30 December 2013

What I loved in 2013

As the new year approaches, I'm reflecting on the year that was and 2013 was a great year.   Last January I had the incredible opportunity to go to High Tech High in San Diego and see a PBL campus in action.  I returned with many ideas and the realization that my school, CNB, is on the right track.  In September I found out that Jenn Craig and I had won the middle school TEAMS award.  Sponsored by Gale and LMC, part of the award was a trip to Hartford to attend AASL's conference and what an amazing experience that was!

My library program continues to evolve.  The 5 things that I loved in the library in 2013:

1.New author: Rainbow Rowell.  I discovered her books "Eleanor and Park" and "Fangirl" and immediately became a fan myself.  The conversations I have with students that have read her books are always delightful

2. Book in a series. There were many that were highly anticipated books in a series but I thoroughly enjoyed Gayle Forman's "Just One Year".

3. Web tool. I played around with Smore and suggested it to a couple of teachers who tried it and meet with success.  It's going to be the go to tool in the spring at my school.

4. Wordless books.  As a middle school librarian I don't tend to buy much in the way of picture books but I do have a rather extensive collection of wordless picture books.  We've really used these a lot in the past year from transforming to non fiction books, and using covers to inspire poetry to creating stories in French 9.

5. Professional resource.  Another hard one, but I'm really enjoying "Growing Schools: Librarians as Professional Developers"

I can't wait to see what 2014 brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment