Saturday, 29 November 2014

5 Favourite November reads

November was a great reading month!  I got caught up on some books I've been meaning to read for awhile and I read many incredible books.

1. I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson.
Noah and Jude are twins who once finished each others sentences but now can't really stand each others company.  If they were just honest with each other they would discover they were both battling similar demons and have each other to lean on. I loved this book.  The characters were strong individuals whom I cheered for and smiled with.  A fabulous grade 9 and up book.

2. Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
The latest book by Stephanie Perkins follows Isla and Josh as they fall in love.  But no Perkins novel would be that straight forward.  Isla needs to figure out what is important to her and love herself before she can recognize the love that Josh has for her.

3. How it went down by Kekla Magoon
This story follows the shooting of Tariq and how his death ripples through the community and then the country.  What's riveting about this book is all the truths and lies that never get sorted out before the story hits mainstream media.  We are looking at adding this novel as a literature circle book.

4. The Selection by Kiera Cass (followed by books 2 and 3: The Elite and The One)
I know I should have read this book earlier but it is rarely in the library and I can see why!  America is one of thirty five girls selected for the prince, Maxon, to date.  From this pool of thirty five, Prince Maxon must select one to marry.  America is not like the other girls and is determined to just be herself which is difficult amongst the politics of the palace.

5. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
I don't know how I missed this book when it came out, but somehow I did.  Another solid Perkins read with Lola as a strong female protagonist who is trying to comfortable with being herself especially after the boy next door broke her heart before leaving town.  Trouble is, that boy next door has returned.


No comments:

Post a Comment