Thursday, 6 November 2014

Best reads of October


1. we were liars by e. lockhart
What a fabulous read. Cadence is from a respectable family, a very wealthy and respectable family.  However, the summer she was 15 something happened and she can't remember what it was.  Two years later, she returns to her family's island and struggles to put the pieces of that fateful night back together.

2. El Deafo by Cece Bell
I admit it, I find graphic novels hard to read.  I think I find them challenging because there is so much to read outside of the words. Yet, I had heard only wonderful things about El Deafo and it didn't fail to deliver a magnificent read. Both of my boys asked to read this book and I had a hard time getting it back from them.

3. Sway by Kat Spears
Jesse Alderman runs the black market of information at high school. You want something or someone, you talk to Jesse. When football jock Ken asks for help getting Bridget to go outwith him, Jesse is up for the challenge that is until he gets to know Bridget himself.  A humorous read.

4. Cold Calls by Charles Benoit
I'm not usually drawn to reading suspense novels but I liked the cover of this book. Suspense novels are also very popular with students right now, but that might just be because of the time of the year.  In Cold Calls, the 3 main characters have secrets and someone knows their secrets and is blackmailing them. At what lengths will they go to ensure that their secrets remain so.  A fast paced and realistic novel that middle school students will enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment