Tuesday, 1 September 2015

ProD Day #2 Webcasts

I had a couple of School Library Journal webcasts that I hadn't watched and wanted to catch up on. SLJ has great webcasts throughout the year, which you can find here

The first was From Superheroes to Vampires: The Hottest Graphic Novels and Manga of 2015. I was looking forward to this because graphic novels and manga is not really my thing but are certainly popular at my school. I found most of the books presented were more appropriate from high school or larger schools. I will be picking up A Silent Voice by Yoshitoki Oima and Sandman Overture Deluxe by Neil Gaiman.

The second webcast Creepy Thrillers and Seriously Wicked Titles for Spring. I know, for spring. I am that far behind but I am pleased that I caught up. What a strong webcast. I was happy to see that Michael Buckley's Undertow was first up and one that I have in the library and have read! If you haven't picked this one up, you certainly should. I will be picking up The Dead I Know by Scot Gardner, Material Girls by Elaine Dimopoulos, Charlie, Presumed Dead by Anne Heltzel, The Glass Arrow by Kristen Simmons.

The third webcast Diverse Voices: A Discussion on Crafting Fiction, Nonfiction, and Audiobooks that Reflect and Celebrate Diversity was fabulous. I really enjoyed listening to author Jason Reynolds, and was nodding along everything he said, especially that we need to expand the definition of diversity.

I also listened to New Nonfiction for Young Readers. I didn't expect to find much of interest for grade 7 and up but was pleasantly surprised. Very excited about Chocolate by Kay Frydenborg, Fifty Things You Should Know About World War One by Jim Eldridge and the new books in the Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists series.

Another day of professional development well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment