Sunday, 2 October 2016

3 faves from September

And the blur of September has passed. I didn't do as much reading as I usually do in a month, but startup tends to make life hectic.

My favourite reads from this month are:

Non fiction
Women in Science - 50 fearless pioneers who changed the world by Rachel Ignotofsky


A beautiful and much needed addition to the science collection at my school. 50 female scientists, recorded in chronological order. What I love about this book is the layout. Each scientist is given her own page with beautiful illustrations. This book is inviting and informative. In fact, I had a science teacher who wandered through the library, saw this book, flipped through it and commented on how good it was. Now I want Ignotofsky to write an equally stunning book on Men in Science to help update my scientist section.




Graphic novel
Snow White by Matt Phelan

Very rarely does a graphic novel catch me completely off guard. From the outset, with its beautifully designed cover, this book lured me in. I loved the modern retelling of Snow White and could see students loving this book. I did recommend it to a student and she came back gushing about how beautiful it was. A graphic novel that really relies on its art to tell the story. A great addition to any graphic novel collection.






Fiction
Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk

One of those reads that will stay with you. This story reminded me very much of To Kill a Mockingbird though I think it could be used with younger grades. A book about how prejudice people can be and how truth is often very elusive, this is a must read.

No comments:

Post a Comment