Saturday, 25 February 2017

Professional development

Yesterday was a Professional Development day in our district. I love PD. I love learning and I truly appreciate the time I have to explore whatever PD interests me.

This Pro D day, I opted to do self directed because I have been absolutely overwhelmed this year and just the mere thought of presenting at or attending a big district event made me shudder. What I truly wanted was a quiet day to read, learn, watch, and reflect. I know that the district doesn't want professional development to happen in isolation, but that's exactly what I needed. In my job as a teacher librarian, every day is a series of intense conversations with teachers. I'm constantly collaborating. I'm not complaining, not at all; I recognize that that is the nature of my job (and truly how I've crafted my job) and I wouldn't want it any other way. But for my PD day this February, I needed an opportunity to quietly move my learning forward on my own.

And learn I did. I caught up on all the posts in the FB group Future Ready Librarians. From the posts, I explored TL blogs, display ideas, and questions about teacher librarianship in general. What an incredible wonderful group to be a part of! I also checked out the #futurereadylibs tweets in Twitter to make sure I wasn't missing anything and watched a couple of webinars. I tackled some of my professional reading (my School Library Journals were starting to pile up). I spoke with colleagues about the new curriculum and resources we have to support it. It was fabulous to have time to invest in myself.

But my PD didn't end with the school day. Just like any other day, I spent the evening reading and trying to improve my 'craft' because learning never truly ends.

2 comments:

  1. Bravo! You did prezi at BCTLA! :-) I think occasional reflection day is huge for any TL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Al. I've already agreed to present at the October BCTLA conference for this fall too! Huge step for me - I didn't even hesitate to say yes.

    ReplyDelete