Sunday, 12 March 2017

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

It's a long story, but the short version is that, in BC, we are looking at lots of new teacher hires as a result of a Supreme Court decision. With new positions opening up at each school, there is the potential for a lot of movement within the district which is something we haven't seen in over a decade. As a result, teachers are starting to talking about moving. 

Change is exciting and frightening at the same time. Because of the lack of movement over the years, there is a core group of teachers at CNB that have been working together for 10 years. Working together for that long means that you're comfortable in your surroundings and know how the building works. You know who you can lean on when needed and who you can rely on to push you forward. Moving means figuring out the invisible lines and divisions on a new staff and finding your own place and voice within the group. Yet it it also a refresh. Moving means you can leave behind expectations and forge ahead with new curriculum in a new space. The potential is there to reinvigorate your teaching and charge along a new path.

The next 8 weeks will be very interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing what our new timetable will look like and thus what class sizes will be across subjects. As always, I'm interested to see what library time will look like and what our M block (homeroom) will morph into.  I'm also looking forward to working with the new additions to the CNB staff and hope for me, that those changes will be enough to spur me on to try new things and recharge my own teaching.

2 comments:

  1. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I worry that we will have classes that do not meet the contract language. All the district has to say is they tried. I think M will be the same but with Career Ed done in the Extended M. I can't help but think: the more things change, the more they are the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I am so very scared to have even a sliver of hope.

      Delete